It always seems impossible until it is done.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Leader of the Pack....this week!

Congrats Doug for losing 14 lbs in two weeks!
Sorry men, this section is just for the ladies.  Let’s face it, the real incentive for this challenge is not just the money, but also for even hotter wives…so let us have our moment.  I did some research regarding women and losing weight.  This is what I found: In order to lose weight faster, we have to combine a high intensity cardio with a steady-state cardio.   High-intensity is defined as something so intense that you couldn’t keep it up for more than 60 seconds — no matter how badly you wanted to! Steady-state cardio is any cardio that’s done at an intensity low enough such that it can be maintained for a longer period of time.
I will do my best to explain the science behind this: Basically your body uses two kinds of energy-carbs and fat.  We all know that if we don’t use our carbs in our body, it turns to fat.  With steady state cardio workouts, our body uses fat to burn for our energy, which is good.  However, later in the day when our body needs energy, our body will turn the carbs into fat and if we don’t use all of them, they stay as fat.  With a high intensity cardio workout, our body doesn’t have time to turn carbs into fat so it triggers the carbs directly.  We burn off the carbs first, and later when our body needs energy it will burn it from the fat we already have!! You can burn fat TWO TIMES FASTER and in HALF the time by incorporating high intensity cardio into your exercise routine and we will see better results.  These high intensity workouts could just be stepping it up a couple of notches on the elliptical or running as fast as you can for one minute.  Push yourself the hardest you can go in a minute then go back to a steady state cardio.  If we do this several times in a workout it will help trigger those carbs first. (Also I should mention that it’s really important to include toning exercises in our routine as well.  As we build more muscles, the more energy/fat we will burn when we are not working out. ) 



3 comments:

  1. For the Ladies:
    http://www.brainyweightloss.com/three-body-types.html#axzz1hIh5J25n

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom's still working on....July 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

    Today was my first day of high intensity workout. Thanks to Kiel loading my mp3 player with amazing songs that I could playlist just how I wanted them, I made it through forty five minutes of cardio with five high intensity moments of 2-3 minutes. I felt like I was going to die...but feel great now. I can really tell the difference between sweating and really sweating. Thank you Alison and Kim for the information, hopefully I can beat one of the men the next workout!!Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. That website..brainyweightloss...is great 'cause it's specific each individual. I never knew how much I could sweat until the high intensity workouts. It does feel like you've accomplish more at the end of the workout. I think the men will be surprised this next weigh-in! They have some competition. Alison

    ReplyDelete